What We Are Collecting in Wanderground…
Wanderground seeks and values a variety of keepsakes that represent, document, portray, and/or celebrate the diversity of Lesbian lives and experiences. As you clean out your closets (so to speak), attics, and other storage areas, please consider sending your treasures representing your Lesbian life to Wanderground. They tell your story and add to the rich collection of Lesbian heritage and herstory. All the materials in Wanderground are donated.
Time Period: In Wanderground, we collect materials (see detailed list below) that describe, portray, or represent the vibrant Lesbian personal experiences, cultures, communities, and spaces that thrived between the years 1950 – 2000. (NOTE: The time period may expand in future years, but for now, this is based on our capacity to properly manage the collection.)
Regional Context: Located in New England, we prioritize and collect personal items from Lesbians who have spent a significant part of their lives in the region (either currently or in previous years). We also gather and preserve artifacts and papers from New England-based Lesbian organizations. If you have questions, please let us know.
Special Collection: In addition, due to the primary interest of the Archive/Library founder, Wanderground holds a significant number of books and publications from the (inter)national Women in Print* movement, and recordings from Lesbian musicians and recording companies. Therefore, we may accept donations of relevant materials to fill gaps in these collections.
*Between 1970-2000, The Women in Print Movement (WiP) of Lesbian/feminist/women-owned independent presses and bookstores provided vibrant resources and centers that shaped, informed, and supported Lesbian/Feminist sociopolitical movements.
What: We especially want to receive collections most at risk of being lost due to death, illness, age, or compromised storage areas. We invite Lesbians (or family/friends of deceased Lesbians) to collect and to offer donations to Wanderground that portray or document a wide range of Lesbian experiences or everyday lives such as (but not limited to):
- Magazines or Zines
- Periodicals, journals, newspapers, or local community newsletters
- Brochures, broadsides, etc.
Art & Media
- Audio & Video Recordings – (CDs, albums, films, DVDs, etc.)
- Artwork (all sorts)
- Posters / graphics / banners
- Oral histories
- Jewelry, spiritual objects, etc.
- Correspondences (letters, postcards, cards, etc.)
- News clippings
- Diaries or journals or calendars or datebooks
- Prose / Poetry or Unpublished papers
- Photos or slides or Home videos
- Clothing (e.g., t-shirts, ball caps, Lesbian-made handcrafts, etc.)
- Memorabilia (Buttons, bumper stickers, souvenirs, program books, matchbooks, and other collectibles, etc.)
- Unique / One-of-a kind items
Organizations / Communities
(based in New England)
- Any of the above AND
- Herstorical information
- Organizational documents/records
- Notices of Events / flyers / conference materials, etc.