Upcoming Events – Strutting Our Stuff Pop-Ups
Since we don’t have a permanent location yet, we’re generating interest for Wanderground in the New England region by “Strutting Our Stuff.” We will showcase a sampling of some of our materials through a number of pop-up events. If you live in these areas, please come visit us!
- Northampton, MA: Sunday April 23, 2023, 1:00 – 5:00 pm (with curator talk at 2:30), Community Room at Hampton Court Apartments, 20 Hampton Ave.
- Providence, RI: Sat., April 29, 2023, 1:00 – 3:30 pm, Hosted by Providence Public Library Art Workshop. Limit: 15 participants (adults & teens). MAKING HISTORY – More details HERE and Registration Required
- Newport, RI: Sat., May 6, 2023, 1:00 – 3:30 pm, Hosted by NewportOUT, 42 Spring St., on the corner of Barney St.
- Hamden, CT: TBD – probably in July
Do you live in Vermont, Central Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Connecticut, or Maine — or other locations in New England? We’d like to visit you too! Please contact email@example.com to make arrangements.
Archive of Past Events
Janaury 26, 2023 – Out of the Archives
Zoom event: Mev presenting information about Wanderground – hosted by The History Project in Boston, MA. Video Recording
January 17, 2023 – Readings from Sinister Wisdom 127 – On Transfer
Mev reading sections of her article, Cherishing/Guarding Lesbiana: A Movement of Words on the Page. Video Recording
March 8, 2022
A Peek into the Herstory of Lesbian Activities in Rhode Island through Archival Materials
PowerPoint Slides | Video Recording
March 27, 2022
Readings by Local Rhode Island Lesbian Authors : Video Recording
Wanderground Research Project 2021-2022 – A Summary of the Findings
Between April 2021 – Jan. 2022, with a mini-grant from the Rhode Island Council for the Humanities, Lesbrarian Mev Miller had been researching the viability of creating Wanderground – a Lesbian Archive/Library located in Rhode Island. The research primarily focused on this goal:
To assess the specific interest and enthusiasm of RI Lesbians to contribute to and use a locally-based archive of Lesbian publications and memorabilia. This research will guide the long-term development of Wanderground as collaborative and welcoming Lesbian-centered community-archive space welcoming to diverse communities.
Here are the research summaries:
- Research Participation, a summary of who participated in the research
- I Found My People
What were our first encounters with Lesbian publications and how they made us feel.
- Creating Communities & Activisms
Beyond publications, where else did we find other Lesbians? Where did we go to find ourselves and each other? How was Lesbian/feminist organizing impacted by Lesbian artistic expression?
- Sisters Doing It for Ourselves
What did we create here in Rhode Island? Introducing RI authors, musicians, and some others….
- Who Needs Archives (and why the Name “Wanderground”)?
Are Lesbians in Rhode Island enthusiastic about an archive in RI? What can we learn from other Lesbian archives around the country?
- Do I Count?? How to Collect Your Life in Memorabilia
Information for how to save your own “stuff” – and why!
- Collaborations & Information Sharing
There are other LGBTQ collections in RI! How we can work together and complement each other?
- Wanderground – Bigger Visions for Space & Collections
- What’s Next???
Moving Wanderground into the future…
To stay in touch, please Join our Mailing List.